Art Courses & Workshops
Kate Bentley S.W.A. is a professional, award-winning artist
When time allows Kate runs private art courses and painting workshop in the Lyth Valley in the Southern Lake District.
The workshops generally cover acrylics and watercolour on a variety of themes:
- experimental watercolours
- and more
Kate has broad teaching experience and in the past has worked for painting holiday specialists Authentic Adventures, Solo Holidays and P&O Cruises.
Read some of the recommendations from Kate’s students
If nothing suits you at the moment but you would like to be informed of future art courses, please make contact through my ‘contact’ page to request updates.
Fri 13th& Sat 14th April 2018 1 Places remaining 15/2/18
- A fantastic opportunity for those of you who want to loosen up, learn new skills and want to absorb yourself for 2 days in a creative environment.
- Kate will be passing on tips and tricks to help you move away from convention and to experiment more with this versatile medium. We will be using our landscapes/seascapes as our starting point for subject matter.
- .Deemed to be one of Kate’s most popular courses. Wildly pushing the boundaries of conventional watercolours this course isn’t for the faint-hearted or illustrative types.
- Your aim for the end of the 2 days…less on the lines of finished paintings, more on the lines of a scrap book full of ideas and paintings in progress.
- Suitable for those at Improvers level.
- £190 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments
Sat 19th & Sun 20th May 2018- 5 places remaining 15/2/18
Fast and Loose -Creating Expressive Seascapes and Landscapes
Glazing & Palette Knife techniques in Acrylics
This workshop is suited for those who have had a little experience of using acrylics or for those who have experience with other media and are interested in knowing more about acrylics especially the potential of Glazing & Palette Knife techniques.
Technique will be demonstrated and applied to a series of exercises to inspire you to try out this immediate way of painting, most commonly used in the field or for immediacy and capturing mood.
Using contemporary artists and old masters as a source of inspiration, Kate will demonstrate how to build up a painting to create a more professional finish through the use of glazes with plenty of tips and tricks on the way
£185 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments
Sat 16th &17th June 2018 *NEW WORKSHOP*
Seasonal Landscapes & Skies in watercolour
-all levels welcome apart from complete beginners.
This workshop is geared for all those who have completed a taster session in watercolours with either myself or another tutor. We will be looking initially at different ways of achieving realistic skies and cloud formation.
Taking the Lake District as our inspiration we will then move onto techniques for painting trees and distant views and finally tackling foregrounds and incorporating texture to complete our picture.
We will cover technical paint information/brush use and creating texture /wet in wet technique/lifting technique/ colour and aerial perspective/
The pace of this workshop is gentle to enable the cautious plenty of time to ask questions and to ask for demonstrations.
Students with greater capability will not be discouraged from proceeding at their own pace.
*£175 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments*
Fri 13th &14th July 18 *NEW WORKSHOP*
Flora and Fauna -water based media and mono printing
This 2 day workshop is designed for painters with some basic knowledge of painting and are interested in freeing up and being more experimental.
This course is all about texture, colour, being bold, being experimental and most of all taking risks.
We will be using the natural world.. birds, bees ,animals, flowers and foliage as our inspiration and with buckets of techniques to explore; unorthodox approaches to discuss and try out Kate will encourage you to push your creativity to a higher level.
Conventional subjects such as colour, composition/design, viewpoints and tone also hold the key to this investigative 2 day session
*£185 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments*
Fabulous Workshop Venue
Newly built, eco-friendly, bright and spacious
Brigsteer Village Hall,
Brigsteer, Nr Kendal, Cumbria LA8 8AL
- All courses are run at this venue unless stated otherwise
- Courses commence at 10am and finish at 4pm
- Materials can be hired
How to Book
- Contact – First make contact with Kate for courses to ensure there is a vacancy.
- Form – Secondly, please download and fill out the booking form or ask me to email/post it to you and return asap with a cheque to the address on the form.
- Equipment – Can also be hired – £9 per day for watercolours, £13 per day for acrylics.