Art Courses & Workshops
Kate Bentley S.W.A. is a professional, award-winning artist
When time allows Kate runs private art courses and painting workshop in the Lyth Valley in the Southern Lake District.
The workshops generally cover acrylics and watercolour on a variety of themes:
- experimental watercolours
- and more
Kate has broad teaching experience and in the past has worked for painting holiday specialists Authentic Adventures, Solo Holidays and P&O Cruises.
Read some of the recommendations from Kate’s students
If nothing suits you at the moment but you would like to be informed of future art courses, please make contact through my ‘contact’ page to request updates.
NEW Due to high demand this is a repeat of Septembers course -1 place remaining as from 3/11/17
Wondrous Woodlands in Watercolours
Saturday 25th – 26th November
Beginner/Improver level – not suitable for complete beginners.
This workshop is designed to incorporate all the skills necessary to achieve a successful landscape painting of trees and woodlands.
Kate will initially discuss effective ways of using colour in landscape painting to create depth and texture in your paintings. Composition and planning will also be key at this stage.
Plenty of demonstrations to help with your skill base. This will ensure you become confident with brush techniques for creating foliage, understanding the structure of trees/tree types/lighting/texture.
Two days of Tree heaven!
Cost for 2 days inc Lunches and refreshments £175.
Friday 16th & Sat 17th February 2018
*NEW*Painting from your own photographs
Painting from your own subject matter/ photographs.
An opportunity to spend two days painting from your own photographs/sketches/images under Kate’s experienced eye.
The Course is ideal for every level and any media.
You will be tutored on a one to one basis and in group tutorial sessions
An ideal chance to pick up tips and tricks to improve your composition, subject choice, planning, material use, colour and much, much more.
£175 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments
Fri 13th& Sat 14th April 2018
- A fantastic opportunity for those of you who want to loosen up, learn new skills and want to absorb yourself for 2 days in a creative environment.
- Kate will be passing on tips and tricks to help you move away from convention and to experiment more with this versatile medium. We will be using our landscapes/seascapes as our starting point for subject matter.
- .Deemed to be one of Kate’s most popular courses. Wildly pushing the boundaries of conventional watercolours this course isn’t for the faint-hearted or illustrative types.
- Your aim for the end of the 2 days…less on the lines of finished paintings, more on the lines of a scrap book full of ideas and paintings in progress.
- Suitable for those at Improvers level.
- £190 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments
Sat 19th & Sun 20th May 2018
Fast and Loose -Creating Expressive Seascapes and Landscapes
Glazing & Palette Knife techniques in Acrylics
This workshop is suited for those who have had a little experience of using acrylics or for those who have experience with other media and are interested in knowing more about acrylics especially the potential of Glazing & Palette Knife techniques.
Technique will be demonstrated and applied to a series of exercises to inspire you to try out this immediate way of painting, most commonly used in the field or for immediacy and capturing mood.
Using contemporary artists and old masters as a source of inspiration, Kate will demonstrate how to build up a painting to create a more professional finish through the use of glazes with plenty of tips and tricks on the way
£185 for 2 day courses which includes 2 lunches & refreshments
Fabulous Workshop Venue
Newly built, eco-friendly, bright and spacious
Brigsteer Village Hall,
Brigsteer, Nr Kendal, Cumbria LA8 8AL
- All courses are run at this venue unless stated otherwise
- Courses commence at 10am and finish at 4pm
- Materials can be hired
How to Book
- Contact – First make contact with Kate for courses to ensure there is a vacancy.
- Form – Secondly, please download and fill out the booking form or ask me to email/post it to you and return asap with a cheque to the address on the form.
- Equipment – Can also be hired – £9 per day for watercolours, £13 per day for acrylics.